Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Nothin' Could Be Finer...

Now that we are officially homeowners in North Carolina, it seems as though it's time to act like we belong here.  We do.  We absolutley do.  We love every single thing about living in North Carolina. Even more than we thought we would.

Friends who have known me forever might think I'm suffering from culture shock when I say that I've become very attached to the outdoors.  I know what you're thinking. This is the girl who said "roughing it" refers to a hotel where the room service stops at midnight.  That's still true.  I'm not about to pitch any tents.  But I do love walking in the woods.

Since we've been here, we've discovered that these Tarheels like their Walking Trails.  You can find them everywhere.  Now I'm not talking about those 30-mile hikes through the Smokies. I won't be doing any overnighters, carrying all I own on my back. No, I mean sweet little trails through the forests close to home, some less than a mile in length.

We started this venture back in the fall, when I was staring at changing leaves as if I'd never seen them before.  Well, that's because I never had seen them before.  When you grow up in Florida, the leaves are green.  Always green.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Plenty of people love 90 degree weather and 200 per cent humidity.  I just don't happen to be one of them.

So we have made it a goal to do one walk in the woods every weekend.  There are plenty of public parks here, and all of them have at least one Walking Trail, some of them quite a few more.

We've seen these trails in the riot of autumn color, in the purest white of fresh snowfall, in the stark gray of winter, in the rainbow of early spring, and now in the green of impending summer. 

With this blog, we embark on the mission of recording each trail. We'll take pictures, and describe the walk, the length, the weather, the foliage, the wildlife, the sounds that may or may not be crickets (and just what IS it if it's not crickets?). 

We hope you'll follow us.  We hope you'll enjoy it.  And we hope you'll get out and walk and share your world with us in exchange.

1 comment: